Resources for Teachers
Available at the Peterborough Public Library
- The Amazing Water Book. Deborah Seed. Kids Can Press.
- Earthcycles and Ecosystems. Beth Savan. Toronto: Kids Can Press. ISBN
- The Jumbo Book of Science, 136 of the Best Experiments: The Ontario Science Centre.
- Scienceworks: An Ontario Science Centre Book of Experiments. Kids Can Press.
- A Drop of Water: A Book of Science and Wonder. Walter Wick. Scholastic Press.
Journey of the Blob
In this short film, a young boy must make a decision about how to dispose of a green glob he has concocted. What will happen if he dumps it into a stream? Where does water come from and where does it go? This film illustrates the water cycle and raises many questions about environmental responsibility and the consequences of our decisions.
Paddle to the Sea
Based on Holling C. Holling's book of the same name, Paddle to the Sea is Bill Mason's film adaptation of the classic tale of an Indigenous boy who sets out to carve a man and a canoe. Calling the man "Paddle to the Sea," he sets his carving down on a frozen stream to await spring’s arrival. The film follows the adventures that befall the canoe on its long odyssey from Lake Superior to the sea.
What is Acid Rain?
What is acid rain? What are its causes and effects? Learn about the role of fossil fuels and pollution, where acid rain occurs, and solutions to reducing the amount of sulfuric and nitric acids in the atmosphere.
A three part video series featuring the primary source of renewable energy, waterpower. These informational and education videos highlight waterpower history, how it works, why it is so important to Ontarios supply mix, and the many benefits of this green, clean and renewable source of energy.
- Facts and Statistics: Did you know? - Safe Drinking Water Foundation
- Water facts on various topics, links to further water fact sheets
- A Primer on Fresh Water: Question and Answers
- Online PDF with lots of information about water, all prompted by questions. Includes graphics, and interesting facts
Water and Environment Website Links for Kids & Teachers
- Freshwater Website – Environment Canada Contains information about the nature of water and management (Site has a good teacher’s corner and a large list of publications. http://www.ec.gc.ca/water/index.htm
- Great Lakes Information Network
Information about life in and around the Great Lakes. Teacher resources provide quizzes, mini lessons on Great Lakes topics, U.S. and Canadian partnership. http://www.great-lakes.net/
Envirozine- Environment Canada’s Online Newsletter - Discusses different environmental issues each week. http://www.ec.gc.ca/envirozine/english/home_e.cfm
- Canadian Water Resources Association
For individuals and organizations interested in the
management of Canada’s water resources http://www.cwra.org
- Canadian Climate Data, Environment Canada
Historical climate data from across Canada. http:// www.ecoaction.gc.ca
- Adopt-A-Pond (Toronto Zoo)
A wetland-conservation program allows people and groups to adopt a pond. http://www.torontozoo.com/adoptapond/
- Otonabee Region Conservation Authority http://www.otonabee.com
- Peterborough Utilities Services http://www.peterboroughutilties.ca/home.htm
- Waterfront Regeneration Trust
A southern Ontario ENGO that organizes projects
designed to enhance the Lake Ontario shoreline on the Canadian side. http://www.waterfronttrail.org/
- Ontario Clean Water Agency. http://www.ocwa.com
- Lifewater Canada
Information on drilling safe drinking water wells and building hand pumps, and training programs. http://www.lifewater.ca
- Watershed Science Centre
Information about watershed research. http://www.trentu.ca/iws/
- Water - Ministry of the Environment
Information on various water-related issues, including wells, conservation, drinking water monitoring, the Great Lakes, and more. http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/water/index.php
- Water Survey of Canada
National water quantity survey. Looks at waterrelated issues facing various provinces. http://www.wsc.ec.gc.ca/
- Water Environmental Association of Ontario
An organization for technical and professional
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Kids’ site has online activities. Teachers’ site has
information such as curriculum ideas and other links.
A consortium listing water-related and environmental websites in Canada and internationally. http://www.waterweb.org
- University of Wisconsin Extension Programs,
Environmental Resources Education Site: Educating
Young People About Water
Has links to curriculum materials and ideas. http://www.uwex.edu/erc/eypaw/
- The Groundwater Foundation (USA)
Site for kids with activities and info. http://www.groundwater.org/kc/kc.html
- Water Science for Schools, U.S. Geological Survey
Information for kids & teachers with online activities. http://water.usgs.gov/education.html
- American Water Works Association http://www.awwa.org/
- People for Puget Sound.
Seattle, WA, U.S.A. http://www.pugetsound.org/kids/default.html
- Great Lakes Information Management
Resource – Kids resources http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/greatlakes/For_kids-W34DB7BBAD-1_En.htm
- Canada’s Aquatic Environments- Promotes awareness of aquatic ecosystems http://www.aquatic.uoguelph.ca
- Ducks Unlimited Canada http://www.ducks.ca/resource/teachers/index.html
- Centre for Global Environmental Education, Hamline University
“Rivers for Life” program makes connection to our immediate activities http://www.hamline.education/cgee_site/watershedpartners/resources/resources.html
- Canadian Centre for Inland Waters
Water research in the Great Lakes http://www.ec.gc.ca/inre_nwril
- RiverSides Stewardship Alliance
- Acts to facilitate behavioural attitudes http://www.riversides.org
- Ontario Streams
Stream restoration information and education http://ontariostreams.on.ca
- Conservation Ontario- Network of 38 conservation www.conservation-ontario.on.ca
- Water Environment Federation-Dedicated to water
preservation and enhancement http://www.wef.org/AboutWater/ForTheP
- Water Use it wisely- Incorporates water conservation tips into a memory game www.wateruseitwisely.com
- BellLive- Electronic Learning Adventures help kids learn about the environment www.bellmuseum.org/distancelearning/waters