Resources for Teachers
Available at the Peterborough Public Library
- The Amazing Water Book. Deborah Seed. Kids Can Press. ISBN 1550740032
- Earthcycles and Ecosystems. Beth Savan. Toronto: Kids Can Press. ISBN
- A Primer on Fresh Water. Environmental Citizenship Freshwater Series.
Environment Canada. (Reference only) ISBN 0662287651
- The Jumbo Book of Science, 136 of the Best Experiments: The Ontario Science
Centre. ISBN 1550741977
- Scienceworks: An Ontario Science Centre Book of Experiments. Kids Can Press.
ISBN (bound) 0919964818 (paperback) 0919964613
- The Greenpeace Book of Water. Klaus Lanz. Sterling Publications. ISBN
- Down The Drains: Water Use and Pollution. Barbara James. ISBN 0750201940
- A Drop of Water: A Book of Science and Wonder. Walter Wick. Scholastic Press.
- The Health of Our Water: Toward sustainable agriculture in Canada. Agriculture and
Agri-Food Canada, Research Branch. ISBN 0662284895
Ministry of Education Curriculum Units
Available online at www.ocup.org
Grade 3 – Social Studies
• Early settlements in upper Canada
• Urban and rural communities
• Understanding life systems: Growth and changes in plants
• Life systems
• Life Systems: Habitats and Communities
Understanding earth and space systems: conserving energy and resources
Videos & Periodicals
Available at Peterborough Public Library
- Journey of the Blob. Bullfrog films. Video. 10 minutes. Grades P-16. ISBN: 0-
7722-0243-5. (see above for ordering info) Also part of the Look Again Series (see
A boy makes a decision about how to dispose of a green glob he has concocted. What will happen if he dumps it into a stream? Where does water come from and where does it go? This film illustrates the water cycle and raises many questions about environmental responsibility and the consequences of our decisions.
- Planet Earth: Caring for our Environment. Video 28 minutes. Ordering number
9191 175. Produced by the National Film Board of Canada
This film illustrates the water cycle, while raising questions about environmental responsibility and the consequences of our decisions.
- Water Supply in Canada: How water is supplied. Video, 20 minutes. Classroom
video, Burnaby, BC.
Discusses how water is supplied and its domestic, industrial and agricultural uses. Examines the benefits and costs of dams, effects on migration of mammals and fish, and the river downstream.
- Water Works. Video, 27 minutes. Porpoise Bay Productions, 1991.
A look at the Great Lakes basin, its origins and characteristics, all looked at
through informative field trips.
- Acid Rain. Video, 30 minutes. Schlessinger Video Productions.
The causes of acid rain and its effect on land forms, soil, crops, lakes, animals
and humans are explained. The state of legislation (1993) and other measures
taken to minimize the damage of acid rain are also discussed.
Publications available from Environment Canada
Education levels are specified for each publication (primary, intermediate, secondary) These can be obtained free of charge using the order form on their website, http://www.ec.gc/water/en/info/pubs/e_teach.html
- Threats to water availability in Canada. The Canadian government addresses water concerns.
- Linking water science to policy. Workshop series final report. Canada’s National Water Research Institute organized a variety of workshops on water quality.
- Did you know?…Freshwater facts for Canada and the world. Includes 150 frequently asked freshwater facts.
- Every Drop Counts: A Speaker’s Kit On Water Conservation and energy efficiency. Downloadable off the website. The kit consists of a PowerPoint presentation and support materials.
- Resource Kit: Kids WaterFest at the museum of Industry.On the site as a PDF file. Complete kit is 773 KB. Educator`s notes and student activities designed to provide an overview of the importance of water.
- A Premier on Fresh Water: Question and Answers. Answers a wide range of questions on different aspects of water, its physical characteristics, availability both above and below ground, its uses, and how its shared and managed.
- Let’s Not Take Water For Granted. Available on the site as PDF files. Teaching suggestions, reading materials and learning activities to help teachers of grade 5.
- Water and Canada: Preserving a Legacy for People and the Environment. Available on the site as PDF files. Includes information about water sustainability and development, as well as sustainability, quality and use.
Water Fact Sheets
A collection of fact sheets in the Freshwater Series. Some are out of print but can be viewed on the website.
A-1: Water – Nature’s Magician
A-2: Water – Here, There and Everywhere
A-3: Clean Water – Life Depends On It
A-4: Water Works!
A-5: Groundwater – Nature’s Hidden Treasure
A-6: Water Conservation: Every Drop Counts
A-7: Water, Art and the Canadian Identity – At the Water’s Edge
A-8: Water – the Transporter
A-9: Water – Vulnerable to Climate Change
Resources available for purchase from the American Water Works Association
There is a charge for most of their publications. Contact AWWA for information and current prices.
Their website can be found at http://www.awwa.org
Consumer Information and Education
- Fact Sheets:
Chlorination of Drinking Water
The facts about Bottled Water and Home Water Treatment Devices
- It’s a Natural,
Pamphlet filled with information about how to get a water conserving landscape.
- H20 Makes Everything Go!
Pamphlet that quizzes users with 9 questions about water and it’s many uses.
- 25 Things you can do to Prevent Water Waste
9 ways in the bathroom, 6 ways in the kitchen and laundry room and 10 ways outside to prevent water waste
- Five Basic ways to Conserve Water.
Information on 5 easy ways to save water
- A Consumers Guide to Water Conservation: The inside story
Learn how to check for leaks, conserve water in the shower and reduce the amount flushed
- A Consumers Guide to Water Conservation: The outside story
8 tips for conserving water outside
- Get your Hands Dirty
Describes soil textures, 7 types of organic material.
- How does your Garden Grow?
Offers alternatives to reduce the amount of water needed for your garden.
- Lawn Watering Tips
Offers tips on how much and when to water your lawn to maintain lawn.
- Caution! Your hose may Be Hazardous to your Health!
Describes how to prevent backflow of water to keep your family safe from fertilizers and weed killers.
- Good Soil For Effective Watering.
Learn about various types of soil and how to maximize its properties for optimum water use and long-lasting lawns and gardens.
- Preventing Floods and Leaks in your Home.
Learn how to look for water leaks
- Splash! Activity Book.
Colouring book with water related word and number games
- Water Magic – Water Activities for Students and Teachers (Grades k-3)
23 hands-on activities that address various objectives
- Aqua Venturer. Water Environment Federation
To Order: WEF public education products call 1-800-666-0206
Learn the story of water, it’s treatment, it’s use throughout history and its
importance to life on Earth.
- Introduction to Aquatic Environments. Department of Zoology, University of
Guelph. 2 Discs covering info about rivers, lakes, chemistry, physical, food webs and plants, benthos, zooplankton, fish, toxics, biodiversity/exotic species http://www.cybernatural.uoguelph.ca/products/aquatic.htm
- Great Lakes Explorer: Biodiversity. Department of Zoology, University of Guelph.
Students can explore issues relating to biological diversity in the Great Lakes. They can participate in expeditions to 44 sites to sample fish. Learn how pollution, habitat and geography affect biological diversity.
- Mission: Acid Rain. University of Guelph.
Learn how to measure pH, collect animals and take rock samples and see how acid rain affects ecosystems. And see how you can stop acid rain.
- Amphibians, Reptiles and Mammals of the Great Lakes: The Great Lakes Faunal
Atlas. Department of Zoology, University of Guelph.
Learn about amphibians, mammals and reptiles while enjoying and interactive, multimedia experience that includes photographs, sound and animations.
- Ontario’s Living Legacy. Ontario’s Ministry of Natural Resources. Contact:
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LUEPS/index.html or call, 1-877-727-7701.
Information about Ontario’s Provincial Parks
Water and Environment Website Links for Kids & Teachers
- Freshwater Website – Environment Canada Contains information about the nature of water and management (Site has a good teacher’s corner and a large list of publications. http://www.ec.gc.ca/water/index.htm
- Great Lakes Information Network
Information about life in and around the Great Lakes. Teacher resources provide quizzes, mini lessons on Great Lakes topics, U.S. and Canadian partnership. http://www.great-lakes.net/
Envirozine- Environment Canada’s Online Newsletter – Discusses different environmental issues each week. http://www.ec.gc.ca/envirozine/english/home_e.cfm
- Canadian Water Resources Association
For individuals and organizations interested in the
management of Canada’s water resources http://www.cwra.org
- Canadian Climate Data, Environment Canada
Historical climate data from across Canada. http:// www.ecoaction.gc.ca
- Adopt-A-Pond (Toronto Zoo)
A wetland-conservation program allows people and groups to adopt a pond. http://www.torontozoo.com/adoptapond/
- Otonabee Region Conservation Authority http://www.otonabee.com
- Peterborough Utilities Services http://www.peterboroughutilties.ca/home.htm
- Waterfront Regeneration Trust
A southern Ontario ENGO that organizes projects
designed to enhance the Lake Ontario shoreline on the Canadian side. http://www.waterfronttrail.org/
- Ontario Clean Water Agency. http://www.ocwa.com
- Lifewater Canada
Information on drilling safe drinking water wells and building hand pumps, and training programs. http://www.lifewater.ca
- Watershed Science Centre
Information about watershed research. http://www.trentu.ca/iws/
- Water – Ministry of the Environment
Information on various water-related issues, including wells, conservation, drinking water monitoring, the Great Lakes, and more. http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/water/index.php
- Water Survey of Canada
National water quantity survey. Looks at waterrelated issues facing various provinces. http://www.wsc.ec.gc.ca/
- Water Environmental Association of Ontario
An organization for technical and professional
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Kids’ site has online activities. Teachers’ site has
information such as curriculum ideas and other links.
A consortium listing water-related and environmental websites in Canada and internationally. http://www.waterweb.org
- University of Wisconsin Extension Programs,
Environmental Resources Education Site: Educating
Young People About Water
Has links to curriculum materials and ideas. http://www.uwex.edu/erc/eypaw/
- The Groundwater Foundation (USA)
Site for kids with activities and info. http://www.groundwater.org/kc/kc.html
- Water Science for Schools, U.S. Geological Survey
Information for kids & teachers with online activities. http://water.usgs.gov/education.html
- American Water Works Association http://www.awwa.org/
- People for Puget Sound.
Seattle, WA, U.S.A. http://www.pugetsound.org/kids/default.html
- Great Lakes Information Management
Resource – Kids resources http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/greatlakes/For_kids-W34DB7BBAD-1_En.htm
- Canada’s Aquatic Environments- Promotes awareness of aquatic ecosystems http://www.aquatic.uoguelph.ca
- Ducks Unlimited Canada http://www.ducks.ca/resource/teachers/index.html
- Centre for Global Environmental Education, Hamline University
“Rivers for Life” program makes connection to our immediate activities http://www.hamline.education/cgee_site/watershedpartners/resources/resources.html
- Canadian Centre for Inland Waters
Water research in the Great Lakes http://www.ec.gc.ca/inre_nwril
- RiverSides Stewardship Alliance
- Acts to facilitate behavioural attitudes http://www.riversides.org
- Ontario Streams
Stream restoration information and education http://ontariostreams.on.ca
- Conservation Ontario- Network of 38 conservation www.conservation-ontario.on.ca
- Water Environment Federation-Dedicated to water
preservation and enhancement http://www.wef.org/AboutWater/ForTheP
- Water Use it wisely- Incorporates water conservation tips into a memory game www.wateruseitwisely.com
- BellLive- Electronic Learning Adventures help kids learn about the environment www.bellmuseum.org/distancelearning/waters